CURRENT SERIES: AND HE SHALL BE CALLED
THIS SUNDAY: WONDERFUL COUNSELOR
PRIMARY TEXT: ISAIAH 9:1-7; PROVERBS 15:22; HEBREWS 2:17, 4:12-15
- Consider counsel you’ve received from another person. What is the best piece of advice you’ve received? Be brief to allow others to share.
- How about the worst piece of advice? Again, keep it brief.
- The theme for this message comes from Isaiah 9:6. And He Shall Be Called…Wonderful Counselor. Read Hebrews 4:12-15. Describe how God’s Word counsels people.
- How has Scripture counseled you in the past month?
- Why can Jesus provide us such wonderful counsel (Heb 4:15)?
- In your life, who gave you counsel from their own past, frustration, sin or pain? How did it help you?
- Since Jesus’ empathizes with us (Heb 4:15-16), explain why that can give us such confidence to share our needs with Him?
- True wisdom comes when we need it. What happens when we give counsel to someone who isn’t ready for it? Why do we give it anyways? What have you learned from those situations?
- How can you tell the difference between your own wisdom and the wisdom of God? Think of a specific example and share with the group.
- Share with the group a specific need for counsel, an unsolved problem. Offer these needs to the Wonderful Counselor. In the days ahead, read, listen and watch for Jesus to give you the answer.